Thursday, February 26, 2004

When I used to live in New York I was a regular listener to Howard Stern's morning show on WXRK (K-Rock). Since Stern is only available on a FM channel in Hartford, it was all but impossible to continue hearing his show when I moved to Connecticut. I've since become a fan of The Zone, which is an all-sports talk station in the New Haven area.

Still I can't believe that Clear Channel is shocked or surprised that Stern wouldn't 'tone down' his routine because of the threat of FCC fines. The guy has made his career of pushing the limits. Frankly, Stern doesn't have the audience he once did, perhaps peaking a year or so after his feature film. His second attempt at a syndicated TV show went bust, with only his E! Show still up and running.

While I don't know if I'll get back into the Stern habit when I move back to Brooklyn, later this year, I think that this is all part of the unbelievable over-reaction to the Janet Jackson booby-gate scandal. Station owners are freaking out and I have a feeling that the Fall Season on the major networks might attempt to play down the sexual innuendo, just to be on the safe side. We'll see how far this all goes!

No comments: