Monday, February 23, 2004

Mark Evanier posted a link to this article by Frank Rich on Saturday, but I didn't have a chance to read it until today. Because of my own memories of serving in the Navy, during the Vietnam Era much of what he says hits home.

I was fortunate in that my own naval service did not bring me into the war zone. I served most of my first enlistment on three vessels that were homeported on the east coast, so spent most of my underway time in the Caribbean and the Mediterranean oceans. While serving I was also active in the ill-fated McGovern Presidential campaign, not only working the phones and filling envelopes with campaign information, but personally donating several hundred dollars to the campaign. At the same time I subscribed to several anti-war/leftist publications and signed my fare share of petitions. I'm certainly not comparing myself to what guys like Oliver Stone, John Kerry and other Vietnam Veterans Against the War were up against. However, I did support them, donating money and subscribing to their newsletter.

Like many folks, even in progressive/leftist circles, I felt that Jane Fonda crossed a line when she flew to North Vietnam. Still, everyone has made mistakes and Fonda had certainly explained her actions. Whether one forgives her or not is a personal matter. On the other hand, I'm sure that there are photos around of my own attendance at protests, meetings and marches that show me in near proximity to folks with whom I'd rather not sit down and drink. Weird to think that this next election may turn, in some fashion, on not who did what in Vietnam, but on who happened to be near you for one event.

Shouldn't we dig up some photos of some current members of the administration (or their father) hanging out with Saddam? Who knew whom back before the first Gulf War and why aren't they talking? Fair's fair, right? Just my $.02.

No comments: