Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Back in the mid-1970s, when I attended my first couple of San Diego comic conventions, I had an opportunity to see Scott Shaw! in action. He, with aid from a few pals, appeared as "Dr. Raul Duke" and allowed them to bust a cement brick on his chest. Later that night I saw for the first time what was then known as the 'esoteric comics' slide show. Amazed and surprised to say the least!

Since then Scott has changed the name to "Oddball Comics", but he continued to show off his material at SD for years and even produced a collection of trading cards (which I'm proud to still own) and a calendar (which I sadly DO NOT own). You can see what this is all about over at his site (which I've placed over on the left), and you should check out other things at Comic Book Resources while you're there. Make sure you have an hour or so just to check out Scott's stuff.

Btw, I have to thank Mark Evanier's Monday posting for reminding me about both Scott and the fabulous Lil' Archie series which I loved as a kid. Somewhere among my belongings I have a sketch of Lil' Reggie that was done at one of those same SD conventions.

No comments: