Thursday, February 05, 2004

Sadly a non-issue (at least in my mind) is going to become a major campaign issue this year. In my opinion, I see no reason why any two adults cannot enter into marriage if that is what they want. Hell, would a constitutional amendment have prevented Brittany Spears from getting married for less than a weekend? I think that does more harm to the 'sanctity' of the institution of marriage than a gay or lesbian couple deciding to make their commitment permanent and binding in a legal sense.

I have friends and family members who happen to be homosexual and currently in very loving relationships. The male couple would probably gladly marry, should the option be available, while the lesbian couple would probably want to wait a bit to ensure their relationship is a lasting one before committing (and they should!).

Donna and I have both been married twice before, so I think you can safely say that we know that 'heterosexual' marriages aren't always the most perfect and enduring things. When two people take that vow they never know what is going to happen down the line. Why shouldn't homosexual couples be able to take the same risk? :-)

No comments: