Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Well, personally I doubt the death of Saddam's sons and one of his grandchildren, will do much to change things in Iraq. While the Administration may get some mileage out of 200 plus soldiers with helicopters taking out 6 guys, I have to think that it's pretty much a big shrug to most Iraqi civilians.

Those who followed Saddam will consider the three martyrs and try to avenge their deaths. It won't be long before we see posters of the sons being marched throughout the Mid-East during protests. For those who are happy to see any members of the former ruling faction dead or imprisoned it will quickly become evident that this will not change anything of importance.

Don't get me wrong. I shed no tears over their deaths, no more than I would for any other human being who looses their life needlessly. I just don't think that the Administration should see this as a milestone. How many of Bin Laden's sons, cousins, etc. did we read of who were killed or captured and he's still running around somewhere?

American troops are still being killed and this will not makea them safe.

No comments: