Monday, July 14, 2003

Donna and I had a nice time in Mystic, CT this past weekend. She had won contest at Beethoven.com last year which included a free room at the Mystic Marriot and tickets to both the Mystic Seaport Museum and the Mystic Aquarium. We ended up not using either ticket, but since they don't expire until the end of the year we still have time. We did get to spend the evening with my best (and oldest) friend Gerry and his wife Pam.

Looks like the numerous Democratic candidates are using the current confusion on Iraq buying uranium from Africa to at least get some airtime. If you didn't read the news each day you would probably never know that anyone was even seeking the opportunity to run against G.W. next year. Hell, elections are messy and expensive things anyway, so maybe Tom Ridge and John Ashcroft can find some Constitutional loophole to abolish them. They could also do away with anything but the Republican Party (not that the ineffectual major Dems are doing anything of interest anyway) and just make things easier all around. According to the folks at Fox we should all be lining up behind the Prez anyway, so with only a single party we wouldn't have to go through the charade next November.

Yeah, I didn't get much sleep last night. How can you tell? :-)

On top of that it's that time of year again. The Head Librarian (or University Librarian, depending on which brochure or directory you check) is doing annual evaluations and as part of that has requested the usual 'self-evaluation'. I think this year, just to keep things interesting, I may say that I'd consider firing myself for lack of interest. It would at least make things more interesting than the usual ten minute meeting where I smile and nod at everything she says. *sigh*

To be honest the only thing interesting me right now is the up-coming All-Star game. Can't believe Fox was able to twist arms and get the MLB honchos and owners to allow the winning League 'homefield' advantage in the World Series. "This time it counts". Hardly seems fair to allow a single game to overturn the traditional way, but then that's why I'm working for living and Fox executives don't have to.

Oh..how much air time do you think new FOX fall promos will get? I'm also sure that there will be "surprisingly" a whole slew of Fox 'stars' sitting front and center and generally looking bored. I wonder if these folks get paid for filling a seat for a couple of hours, along with free tickets, airfare and hotel accomadations? I'd also be curiious if they actually stay for an entire game, or if they are shuttled back to the hotel after their alloted camera moment. I think I have way too much time on my hands, if I'm actually wondering about things like this. :-)

No comments: