Monday, July 21, 2003

Just want to cover some of the comics I picked up last Friday. Some I've mentioned before and there were also a couple of 'first issues' that I want to comment on.

FALLEN ANGEL #1(DC) Peter David introduces another mysterious character into the DC universe. Time will no doubt tell who she is, or may have been, but the story was interesting enough to bring me back for at least another issue or two. Peter also gives us a half dozen other characters, all of whom probably have equally mysterious backgrounds. He successfully gives us a hint of things to come, shows us some of the characters and locals he'll be playing with, plus actually presents a 'done in one' story. Many writers would have dragged this plot over several issues, but PAD uses it simply as a way to show us some of the themes he'll no doubt be expanding upon. It may be too early to tell, but I'd recommend FA to any Peter David fans. Personally, I'm hoping that neither PAD nor the Powers That Be at DC feel it's necessary to have a 'guest appearance' by some major DCU character in the next couple of issues. Give FA a chance to find itself and then bring in the guest stars.

PAD was once my favorite mainstream comics writer, but I have to admit that I really have not been following most of his books for the past couple of years. The notable exception being the always fun and unpredictable, SPYBOY for Dark Horse. The current SPYBOY: The M.A.N.G.A. Affair continues the string of wonderful issues, with this one centering on SB's Japanese counterpart SPYGIRL. You just have to love it!

ARROWSMITH #1 is written by another writer who has moved up and down my Top Ten creator list over the past few years. Like David, Kurt Busiek seems to be able to create in his sleep. The range of characters he has introduced is amazing. From the ASTRO CITY heroes and the normal citizens of that city to the revamped and rebooted second-string heroes & villians of THUNDERBOLTS, Busiek never fails to bring something interesting to his stories. With ARROWSMITH, he creates yet another world where trolls and dragons exist alongside everyday folks. In an alternate world/universe the use of magic (and creatures of myth) are almost everyday occurances, but there are still areas where they are special. In one such town, young Fletcher Arrowsmith is not interested in growing up working with his father, but rather wants to go off in search of adventure and the chance to fly. While the young men of our world wanted to join the aviators of WWI as they battled the Hun, Fletcher wants the chance to learn magic and fly with the aid of small, dragons in a war that may one day involve his homeland. Busiek shows us a world where the turn of the 20th century industrial age brushes up against the astounding wonders of a never was. Carlos Pacheco and Jésus Meriño produce some wonderful art, which helps bring Kurt's world to life. Highly recommended!

GOTHAM KNIGHTS #43 - I know I said that I would probably drop this title, but seeing the original Batgirl on the cover changed my mind. In flashback, we see Barbara Gordon's introduction to the young Jason Todd. We also see the beginning of events which would lead both of these caped crusaders to their inevitable fates at the hands of Batman's greatest foe. On the strength of this issue, I'm going to keep GK on my pull list at least for a month or so. I'll keep you updated.

That does it for now. I'll try to have some more comic reviews tomorrow.

No comments: