Friday, February 28, 2003

"Strange as the glimmer of the ghastly light
That shines from some vast crest of wave at night."

William Hope Hodgson - The Ghost Pirates

Growing up in southeastern Connecticut, I suppose it was natural to have some interest in the sea. My hometown of Norwich had been a harbor and even had some whaling ships sailing from her docks in the 19th century. Also, with a large Naval station, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy and General Dynamics submarine construction facility less than a half hour away it was impossible not to be aware of the maritime history of the area.

Considering this, plus the fact that my father and his brother had both served in the U.S. Navy during WWII, it was not hard to imagine that I'd find myself serving as well. Of course, if you remember the fact that this occurred while our country was deeply involved in Vietnam and I thought my chances would be better sitting in a ship, rather than 'in country' (as they called it).

Add all this and you may understand that the literature of sea holds a fascination for me. The novels of Herman Melville, C. S. Forester, Patrick O'Brian and the like continue to hold my interest. True stories of the ships that sailed the world's oceans and the men that sailed on them (often at their peril) grip my imagination and pull me into a world long past.

If you happen to share my interests, or maybe the movie TITANIC moved you to such a degree that you have become one of those who seek out books on that disaster and others, you might be interested in checking out the link I've just installed.

No comments: