Monday, March 03, 2003

Occasionally I'll be hit by feelings of nostalgia and check in on the whereabouts of some of the Navy ships on which I served.

Seems one (U.S.S. Shreveport) is currently somewhere in the Persian Gulf, while another (U.S.S. Waddell) has been temporarily re-assigned to the Greek Navy. Still another ship (U.S.S. Butte) has been de-commissioned. The first ship on which I served was the U.S.S. Boxer which was de-commissioned in early 1969 and a brand new ship has become the sixth Naval vessel to bear that name. Also a helicopter carrier (as was the ship I sailed on) this ship is also possibly scheduled to be deployed.

"Fair winds and following seas" to former shipmates and those who serve currently on my old vessels. My thoughts are with those Navy guys putting in their time, lifers or not.

No comments: