Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Sometimes your childhood catches up with you. The past week has brought a few things that reminded me of different periods of my youth and I wanted to quickly mention them (if only to rant for a while).

Last Friday night, while checking the "Guide" on television I was jolted to find that the "Lone Ranger" was listed as being broadcast later in the evening. My initial reaction was that it was the horrible movie from '81 LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER, however the guide said that this was a new film, so I figured I'd set the VCR just in case.

*sigh* Well, it seems that the WB had hoped that they could revive the series by using their usual "teen drama" formula. Hell, it worked with SMALLVILLE, so why not the "Masked Rider of the Plains". Since I haven't had the time or interest in actually sitting down and watching the entire film, my comments are limited to the 10 minutes or so that I caught while commercials aired on other shows. "Mostly Harmless" pretty much sums up my feelings. The leads are too young, the dialogue to 'hip' and you never get the feeling that anyone is taking the thing seriously, even the 'bad guys'.

Maybe it's just a matter of the LR not fitting into current ideas of entertainment. Given a good script and skilled director, with actors and crew who had a desire to bring some magic to the franchise, maybe it could be done. I just don't see it happening now.

Go over to the link to CBS television and check out Return to the Batcave : The Misadventures of Adam and Burt, which reunites Adam West & Burt Ward. I had first heard about this a couple of years ago and frankly, thought it was one of those ideas that float around Hollywood but never actually get done. Imagine my surprise a few weeks ago when I saw the "Dynamic Duo" over on Entertainment Tonight talking about the TV-movie.

The linked page has some nice stuff, including photos from the movie, the old Batman theme, and a video trailer for the show.

Back when the show was originally aired I was one of those millions of kids who were thrilled, yet kind of bothered at the same time. It was fun watching the overacting and over-the-top scripting, yet as a comics fan, I was insulted that one of my favorite characters was basically being made to look ridiculous. Still I was there 'same Bat-time, same Bat-channel' twice a week watching the show, along with my younger sister and my parents.

It's time to get another tape ready. Hey, maybe I can just tape over the LONE RANGER, huh?

Finally, I got a postcard in the mail informing me that the 35th reunion of my High School class is coming up. Man, has it really been that long? I'll probably end up going, but since it isn't until the Friday after Thanksgiving I'll have plenty of time to change my mind a number of times. I'll keep you updated.

No comments: