Saturday, March 15, 2003

Been a while since I actually mentioned comics here, so I thought it was about time.

The BRUCE WAYNE:MURDERER/FUGITIVE storyline, beginning back in BATMAN Ten Cent Adventure, got me hooked on a few of the Bat family titles. Quickly discovered that the ugly art and confusing storyline over on NIGHTWING weren't my cup of tea. On the other hand, I'm really glad to be reading both ROBIN & BATGIRL. Both are interesting characters in themselves, apart from their involvement with their mentor. Also, found that BIRDS OF PREY was a nice change of pace, allthough the recent change in art chores threw me for an issue. The three main Batman books (BATMAN, DETECTIVE & GOTHAM KNIGHTS) have allowed me to catch up on my one time favorite comics character and his extended 'family'. Two female characters, SPOILER and THE HUNTRESS both are going through some tough times and have enough backstory to keep me interested.

If somebody can explain why Marvel decided to completely change the storyline and characters in THUNDERBOLTS, yet retain the title and numbering of the original series, I'd love to hear it. I had heard the book was going to change and was disappointed, since I thought that both original scripter Kurt Busiek and follow-up scribe Fabian Nicieza were doing a fantastic job with some unusual characters. Dozens of second-string Marvel villains were re-introduced, changed, killed and than brought back, new heroes were introduced and yet both guys were able to keep the juggling act going, almost effortlessly. I found it funny that, when speaking with one of the co-owners of Clockworks Comics (where I currently buy my books), at least a half-dozen folks had the book dropped from their 'pull lists' after just seeing the cover art for issue #76 in PREVIEWS. To be honest, T-bolts was the ONLY Marvel title that I have been buying on a regular basis for a while now. I know that the publisher can certainly get along without me, but I'll be curious to see how long this revamp remains on the stands.

It's been known that YOUNG JUSTICE was going to end for a while now, but I was still sorry to see one of my favorite DCU books wrap up. I think Peter David was doing a great job on all the characters, and certainly proved (as if he needed to) that he is one solid comicbook writer. I haven't read or been interested in the TITANS for years, so I can't say that their demise means much to me. I'll be picking up the cross-over GRADUATION DAY, just out of curiousity but doubt that I'll have any desire to pick up either the new TITANS or THE OUTSIDERS which will apparently spin-off. To be honest, the idea of an illegitimate daughter for BLACK LIGHTNING seems to be a slap in the face of that characters creator Tony Isabella. Distaste it enough to keep me away.

In case anybody cares (and in no particular order) here are my current Top Ten Favorite comic books:
USAGI YOJIMBO, SAVAGE DRAGON, POWERS, JSA, GREEN ARROW, HAWKMAN, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to see them back and in the hands of one of their creators), DOOM PATROL (*sigh* Another DCU title that I've heard will be dropped all too soon.), STRAY BULLETS, ASTRO CITY (I'm really glad that Kurt & Co. are back, even on an irregular shedule).

Several other comics come out rather haphazardly, but I still love them when they appear:
AKIKO, 7 GUYS OF JUSTICE (The best superhero spoof since early issues of THE TICK, and almost as strange as LETHARGIC LAD), HEROBEAR & THE KID (the book makes me remember how wonderful the imagination of a child can be)

Hats off to both BONGO COMICS and ABC for publishing entire lines which are 'must have, double bag'. You probably couldn't find two companies who publish such 'different' books, but both seem dedicated to producing things which appeal to fans outside the standard readers of DC & MARVEL.

Oh, and I'd regret not recommending FIREBREATHER, one of the new 'superhero' titles being introduced by Image Comics. What do you when you are going through puberty, and just moved into a new town where the kids at school wouldn't allow you into their cliques? Now suppose you were orange, had scales and your father was a 300-foot monster bent on conquering the world? Only three issues so far, but this is quickly moving up on my list of favorities.

Have I mentioned that I LOVE comics lately?

No comments: