Thursday, February 27, 2003

Well, I couldn't bring myself to watch G.W.'s entire speach last night, but then I often find myself grabbing the remote to flip past his smug mug whenever it appears.

Is it really wise to have the 'leader of the free world' beginning his speech about an upcoming war by making jokes about the "dress code" as the AEI dinner, where he found a most receptive audience? His administration is about to send thousands of American & British troops into a war from which hundreds may not return. He is going to order the bombing of 'strategic sites' which all too often turn out not to be such, thus leading to the death of innocent men, women and children.

But before that let's make jokes and name drop, despite the fact that most of the American public (and any international audience) has NO IDEA who these folks are or what the AEI does. From the way Bush spoke about these conservative intellectuals and big-business apologists you'd think they were strapping on equipment and leading the charge into the Iraqi desert, rather than sitting around collecting paychecks from the companies eager to profit from the up-coming war.

Oh, since I'll be discussing the Iraq situation and nay-saying the invasion, I just want to make it clear that my admiration and respect for the men & women in the Armed Forces runs deep. Unlike many 'hawks' who seem all too happy to send other folks into hostile fire, yet didn't find time to serve themselves, I spent close to ten years in the U.S. Navy. I've been in hostile waters and have been on a ship attacked by suicidal folks in the dark of night. It's scary out there folks and our politicians should remember that as they lay down in their beds each night.

No comments: