Thursday, February 20, 2003

Growing up I can recall my father reading two newspapers everyday, with a third one added on Sunday. I'm not simply saying he skimmed the headlines and read the sports page, I mean he actually did read almost everything (including the comics in each paper). I have to wonder what he'd think, if he was still around, about his Librarian son almost never getting his fingers dirty with newsprint?

Thanks to the Information Age I get my full of both mainstream and alternative publications via my computer terminal. All that and I never have to feel guilty about the paperboy having to trudge through the snow to deliver his wares.

Granted I don't read each publication as thoroughly as my Dad did in his day, but I can certainly keep up with my favorite columnists and see what the Powers That Be have decided is newsworthy for the rest of us.

The best place for me to start each morning is with the "Today's Papers" newsletter which I have e-mailed to me by Slate Magazine . Not only do I get the headlines of five major newspapers (NEW YORK TIMES, WASHINGTON POST, WALL STREET JOURNAL, LOS ANGELES TIMES & USA TODAY), but links to each paper, as well as occassional links to other newspapers and magazines (both American and international). I find it amazing to compare how each publication views the major events of the day and what gets priority.

No comments: