Tuesday, February 11, 2003

Some mornings I wake up, immediately turn on the news to discover what has gone on since the previous night. Then there are days, like today, when I don't even turn the radio on in the car. You just know that they'll be nothing of any importance or that whatever you hear is just going to depress you for the rest of the day.

For the past week there have only been, apparently, three news stories that have been important enough to garner any more then 30 seconds on any given news program. The "Showdown With Saddam" (I think the networks share a trademark on this but it's possible that the Republican Party gets a kickback everytime it's used), the Columbia disaster (or 'tragedy', depending on which network you happen to be switched to) and Michael Jackson's sanity or lack there of. Personally, I find the last item the more fascinating.

I mean we all know that an American attack on Iraq is only a few weeks from happenening, no matter what either NATO or the UN decides to do (or NOT do). The shuttle accident investigation, like that of the Challenger, will drag on until most of us have forgotten about the thing (after all the Oscar nominations have been announced and we have to make time in the primetime newscast for that), NASA will shuffle folks around and try to cover up anything that could point a finger at any major contractor or executive. The public's perception of Jackson on the other hand is an on-going subject of interest and can easily fill hours of air-time.

Okay, that ends my rant for today. I'll try to be more entertaining next time out, plus I have an actual book review that I want to post.

Later!

No comments: