Friday, February 14, 2003

With the UN inspectors coming in with the latest report, we can bet that George W. is ready to send troops across the Kuwait border in Iraq. In honor of that I wanted to put forth the following, for what it's worth.

The following are lyrics from a song in the 1933 Marx Brothers’ comedy "Duck Soup" entitled "The Country’s Going to War."
Firefly: Then it’s war! Then it’s war! Gather the forces! Harness the horses! Then it’s war!
Minister: Freedonia’s going to war!
General: Each native son will grab a gun.
Stenographer: And run away to war!
All: At last we’re going to…. Feet will beat along the street to… War! We’re going to war!
Chicolini and Bob: At last the country’s going to war
All: It seems the country’s going to war.
Ministers: At last the country’s going to war.
All: We’re going to war!
Prosecutor: This is a fact we can’t ignore.
All: We’re going to war! This is a fact we can’t ignore! We’re going to war!
Firefly: In case you haven’t heard before. I think they think we’re going to war. I think they think we’re going to war
All: We’re going to war!
Bob: I think they think we’re going to war
All: We’re going to war!
Chicolini: We’re going to war!
Guards: We’re going to war!


Music and lyrics by Bert Kalmar and Harry Ruby

I expect that the deed will be done before mid-March, since the longer the administration drags it's feet the more the anti-war movement will have a chance to organize and get the word out.

While I'm on the topic, as a kid who grew up during the Fifties I get this scary feeling of deja vu' when I see these reports about folks buying duct tape, rolls of plastic and stocking up on food & water. One of my uncles actually had a fallout shelter built in his basement, even though the family lived less then five miles from the submarine base in New London. He might as well have drawn a bullseye on his roof for all the good the thing would have done.

Now I've been seeing reports on the local news that all schools have 'terrorism alert plans', which will be implemented if terrorists decide to hit the local elementary school. I also remember the town I lived in (Taftville, CT which usually doesn't even appear on many state maps) holding drills, where cars would have to pull off of the road and all us school kids would duck under our desks. Granted we were maybe twenty miles from the same Naval station, but I'm sure our schoolhouse (built in the 1920s) would have easily survived anything the Russkies would have handed out. :-(

I'm not saying that there aren't serious dangers, as 9/11 made pretty damn clear, but let's not panic folks. Be prepared in case events happen, but don't let the administration use hysteria to undermine the very things this country stands for.



No comments: