Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Well, we're at the beginning of a transit strike here in NYC today. The MTA and the Transit Worker's Union couldn't come to an agreement so early this morning the union leadership voted (not unanimously by the way) to go out. The union made concessions but apparently it wasn't enough for the suits put in place by Pataki. As you can imagine things are pretty messed up on the highways and especially in Manhattan.

I grew up in a family that was very strongly union. I had a couple of uncles who were shop stewards and one later a state legislator (Democrat, natch!). Years ago I was fired for attending a meeting of a group discussing the formation of a 'grievance committee', which further radicalized me. I have spent time protesting in front of management events and attended my share of union rallies since becoming a member of DC37/AFSCME, back in 1986. Sadly, we're seeing most of the mainstream media pushing a pro-MTA message and looking for the usual disgruntled drivers to say things against the strikers. Big surprise, huh?

I hope that this strike doesn't last more than a day or so, as I really would like to be working at my own library. As I've said we're in the middle of a major renovation and there's a lot to be done and organized before our reopening in February. Fingers crossed my brothers & sisters in the TWU get what they deserve!

Union forever!

No comments: