Saturday, December 31, 2005

The Internet is a wondrous thing at times. We are bombarded with the most useless information, yet at times it can allow us to make discoveries we could not have foreseen.

In 1975 I was divorced from my first wife. It turned messy and even though I was angry at the time I've since come to realize that the marriage was a mistake from the beginning. We were two people who had no reason to even be together except for a bizarre set of circumstances. It was doomed from the outset. After we split I only heard of her whereabouts second hand several years later. As far as I knew she simply fell off the face of the earth.

As I sometimes do when bored (and believe me New Year's Eve at the library is pretty slow) I was Googling around checking up on folks. I had not even been thinking about my ex, but decided for some reason to put both her name and that of her father into the search. Low and behold I turned something up. Sadly, it was an obit for her father who had passed away several months ago. However, it mentioned that he was survived by his daughter and son-in-law.

Sometime in the 1980s (after the last time I'd heard about her) she evidently returned to Colorado where we had lived, hooked up with one of my old co-workers and got hitched. Just as in my case it was Lucky #3 I guess as she seems still to be married.

Good luck, Betsy and Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Elayne said...

Whoa, I can't believe you located her! Are you going to try to get back in touch with her, or just leave well enough alone? You can't be this friendly with all your ex-wives, you know. :)