Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Last weekend, Donna and I finally had the opportunity to catch the last two episodes of ANGELS IN AMERICA. Unfortunately, we didn't know the show was on until it was too late to catch earlier segments. We were impressed enough by what we saw to want to eventually see the entire mini-series.

It's obvious why the show received so many nominations and awards. Al Pacino and Meryl Streep were both outstanding and the rest of the cast can be proud of their performances.
You don't see enough of Emma Thompson in these segments to judge her performance, although she does make a pretty imposing angel. (Just an aside: I don't think the body double they used for the scene with Mary-Louise Parker really worked. You could have done the scene without a stunt tush, simply having Parker herself shown opening a robe from the back. To me is seemed a bit of cheap titilation.)

Playwright Tony Kushner adapted his Pulitzer winning play for the small screen and it is amazing. Kushner was one of the speakers at Kristina's college graduation and he is just as funny and political as you could guess.

I don't have anything to add to what others have said about the series, but can only add my own recommendation (again based solely on the final two installments). I don't doubt the first four are just as incredible.

1 comment:

Steve Chaput said...

Arnold I couldn't reply on your blog, but did want you to know I checked it out.

I'm not the outdoors type and haven't been camping for years. Hat's off to you and your fellow Rangers for doing such a great job though.