Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Another busy weekend, some packing and the beginning of finals, here at UNH, all combined to prevent me from taking some time to post. My apologies to the two or three folks who actually look in here.

Donna and lost a few hours of our lives the past few nights watching 10.5 on NBC. Personally, there's nothing I enjoy more than a good disaster movie. Okay, I like those 'nature takes revenge' films (which can also be disaster movies, but generally involved insects or some kind of animal taking their turn as chief predator, with mankind on the foodchain) that SCI FI always has on Saturdays. Oh, and slasher films are pretty high up on my list of favorite genres, too. I guess 'disaster movies' are among the TOP 5, but I digress.

Anyway, Irwin Allen was king of that sort of thing back in the'60s & '70s, but just about all the networks (major and minor) have found that folks love to see unemployed actors (often one-time TV or movie fixtures) getting drown, tossed into lava or killed in one way or the other. Generally, it looks like the make-up guy tossed dust on their clothes and didn't comb the star's hair, thus indicating that these poor souls have been through hell.

NBC seems to have spend hundreds of dollars on third-string celebs, minature models of various California landmarks and hairspray for one-time NYPD BLUE cutie, Kim Delaney. Delaney gets the lead (which means plenty of meaningful closeups and appears in the teasers before each commercial break), with Fred Ward (who did have a film career at one point) and the other Bridges brother, Bo (as the President of the United States, possibly regretting giving up sniffing glue on this particular day). Parts of San Francisco, Los Angeles and Seattle all fall down go boom as the west coast slips into the sea.

I've probably spent way too much time discussing what in the end was sloppy and obvious, but as I said in the beginning. I actually enjoy this sort of thing. Pretty sad, huh?

No comments: