Friday, April 30, 2004

Oh, I forgot to mention it earlier this week, but I was able to catch HELLBOY last weekend. I'll give it a Big Thumbs Up!

The entire thing certainly remained as loyal to Mike Mignola's wonderful creation as you could possibly want. If you're a fan of the character (as I am) you could not be disappointed. Ron Perlman was wonderful as HB and it was perfect voice casting to have David Hype-Pearce as Abe. As soon as I heard that Perlman was in the lead I immediately realized that he would be perfect in the role. I really hope that the success of this film will mean that we can look forward to a few sequels down the line. The movie was as good as the X-Men film and certainly superior to THE HULK. I don't know if any film, based on a comic character could be as good as either the first BATMAN or SPIDER-MAN films, but it certainly made me a happy camper.

Also, caught a teaser for another film I'm looking forward to seeing. I'd never heard of SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF THE FUTURE until I caught the promo, but now I'm totally psyched. When the first few second of the trailer began I thought that it was either a tribute to the old Fleischer SUPERMAN cartoons (which it somewhat resembles in style, but then again the opening sequence of the animated BATMAN does much the same), or some new Japanamation film. Wow! I was totally blown away and along with a couple of other folks in the theatre actually applauded when the trailer ended. This is going to be either a major box-office hit or a huge bomb, but I'm shelling out my buck either way.

No comments: