Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Due to popular request (my ex, Elayne) I'm going to try to explain the whole "Ship's Librarian" gig.

SUNY Maritime College is one of the few schools where those interested in joining the Merchant Marine can go for training. Each year, as do cadets in the Coast Guard Academy & Annapolis, students take part in an actual deployment, where they can put the skills and knowledge from class into use. Between the sort of On The Job training which this allows, students are also required to take class work. The ship the, T.S. Empire State VI, is actually a floating university.

This year the ship will be leaving for a nine-week 'cruise' to points in the Caribbean and Europe. Since classes are being held it's necessary for the school to supply the students with a complete library (or as complete as it is possible to be given space limitations) for their use. The library will contain print and electronic resources, as well as leisure reading material and information on the various ports to which the ship will sail. SUNY is looking for a librarian willing to take a couple of months out of their life to serve the students.

In one of those coincidences which seem to rule my life, I happen to be in the midst of re-locating to New York, so I've already given notice here at UNH. I'm also, extremely lucky, in having a wife who is willing to let her husband 'go to sea' without her. Promising, of course, to make my way back. :-)

I probably shouldn't jinx myself by talking about the job, but everytime I mention it folks seem fascinated that such a thing as a 'ship's librarian' even exists. I'll keep folks updated and, should I get the post, I have every intention of creating a separate blog/journal to report on my voyage. Hey, Darwin seemed to do alright by it!

No comments: