Thursday, April 08, 2004

I knew about Tony Isabella years before I ever met him, or for that matter even spoke to him over the phone. Back when I was reading comics in the mid-1970s Tony was making his mark at DC and Marvel as a writer and editor. His work back then on titles like BLACK LIGHTNING (which he created), HAWKMAN, GHOST RIDER and others still holds up to re-reading after all these years. Sadly, you have to haunt the used comics boxes at cons to pick them up, since the publishers haven't done anything to keep them in print (even when the characters were once again popular).

In the '80s Tony and I were both contributors/members of the longest running comics APA, Capa-Alpha (known as K-a, to old farts like us). It was during that time that I actually got a chance to meet Tony and learn what a wonderful person he was. Tony is indeed one of the Good Guys and I think that you'll find both his columns and the activity on his message boards worth the time. He is after all THE Tony Isabella! :-)

No comments: