Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Just had to make a few comments re: The Draft, since I've just read Mark Evanier's column on the topic over on his site.

Back in 1968, when I turned eighteen, I was as afraid as any of my friends about going to Vietnam. Still the idea of taking off for Canada never appealed to me, though I don't at this point of my life, deny that the thought didn't cross my mind. But who the Hell did I know in Canada?

Anyway, since I had been a kid my father (a WWII U.S. Navy vet) continually made it clear that as his son I was pretty much destined to follow in his (and his brother George's) footsteps. So a week after my eighteenth b-day I found myself walking into the Selective Service Office at the main Post Office in Norwich, CT.

Immediately after filling out my paperwork, I walked down the hall and into the office of the Navy Recruiter. He was more than happy to sign me up for 'delayed enlistment', which meant that I would have between 3-6 months before I was actually called up.

Nice surprise to get a call a month later from this same smiling First Class Petty Officer telling me that I was scheduled to report two days later to Whitehall Street in New York City, where I would be enlisted. The rest, as they say, is history!

While several of my high school friends did receive 'deferments' I never resented them for that. They were going to college or had legitimate medical reasons for not being called up. I actually received my Draft Letter while attending Navy Boot Camp at the Great Lakes, IL Recruit Training Command.

Basically, I have no problem with the draft, although I do believe that changes should be made to make it a fairer program. There should also be an option for people to do non-military related work in the public sector, allowing these folks to gain many of the same benefits which those who choose the Armed Forces receive.

It goes without saying that the women & men who are serving in uniform are underpaid, insufficiently equipped and ill-rewarded when their terms of enlistment are over. As does Evanier, I think that the members of the Armed Forces should be receiving pay equal or at least near that of people working in related areas in civilian life. If this means a few less B-1 bombers or nuclear subs (because we all know that Al Queda has a fleet of subs just waiting to slip into the coastal waters when our guard is down), well the contractors, lobbyists and Congress folks with their hands out will have to do with a bit less.

I'm sure that folks can shoot holes in my thinking and feel free to do so. It is my blog, though, and I'll rant when I want to.

No comments: