Monday, May 17, 2004

The Center for Defense Information was established by a number of retired military officers and people knowledgeable in matters of the Armed Forces. Unlike many of the folks I've linked to they are certainly not what you would call 'progressive', at least not as an organization. A look at the members of the group will show you that their main interest is that the military in this country be used properly and be equipped correctly.

As a Vietnam Era vet myself, I've never been a believer that the U.S. should simply do away with the military. I think I've read enough history and experienced enough in my fifty plus years to know that every country does indeed need a military to protect itself. On the other hand, I guess you could put me among those who lean towards a more 'hands off' attitude on foreign policy. While we should be willing to aid those countries who request military aid from us (and not for the suppression of their own people's demands for rights), the American people have for too along allowed the administrations in power (both Democrat & Republican) to use the men and women of the military as pawns in whatever power games they have decided to play.

CDI looks at the realistic needs and capabilities of the Armed Forces and allows people to make clear judgments. The link is over there, FYI, as are all the others.

No comments: