Thursday, March 04, 2004

When I lived in Brooklyn I was a big Howard Stern fan, much to Elayne's dismay. It was great listening to him and the whole cast (Stuttering John (now off to be the announcer on Jay Leno), the long suffering Baba-booey, the brilliant Fred and of course the remarkable Robin Quivers) do their schtick each and every weekday morning. I also enjoyed his short-lived Channel 9 program, which pre-dated his E! show by years.

My pal Vinne B. and I actually had the opportunity to catch one of Stern's infamous public performances. Immortalized as "U.S. Open Sores" you can probably find copies of the VHS on Ebay, should you be interested. Not only was it great sitting in the Nassau Colleseum with several thousand other Stern fans, but we had the chance to see some of the Stern show 'regulars' perform. Jessica Hahn, Leslie West and Sam Kinison were all present, with Kinison & West finishing the show off with WILD THING.

Anyway, since moving to Connecticut it has been all but impossible for me to hear Howard, and I've become addicted to the local all-sports radio station The Zone. Still I'll occasionally catch a few minutes of Howard doing his standard routine on E!, but he really hasn't been in the news recently. I'm sure that he was probably delighted at the recent controversy which found him kicked off of several radio stations around the country. If you don't know you can check out this nice article over at Slate by Bryan Curtis, an obvious long-time fan himself.

No comments: