Saturday, August 25, 2007

Okay, I've been called on the "chicken hawk" comment in my previous post, so I might as well say something here. I don't know how many folks read the occasional 'comments' that folks make and probably fewer read my replies hidden back there. I have to admit that I don't always read the 'comments' on most of the blogs & news sites I read unless I'm going to comment myself.

Despite being a Vietnam Era Vet myself, I don't expect everybody who runs for political office to have served as well. I voted for Bill Clinton and for quite a few other folks who never enlisted, as it's not the defining reason I support any candidate. In fact, there have been times when I've voted for the non-veteran running against a vet. Military service is only one element in deciding who I'll support in an election.

My sole point in that post was to say that I feel that if you purposely went out of your way not to serve in the military, you should be extremely careful in putting others who have made a different decision in harm's way. It is especially disgusting to hear the VP talking about sacrifice and urging continued involvement by our Armed Forces when he is publicly quoted on record as having said he had 'more important' things to do during the Vietnam War than to serve. That to me it the definition of a CHICKEN HAWK. "My life and desires are more important than the lives and desires of the thousands of men and women I can order into harm's way."

This isn't going to change your mind about this, nor did I expect it to. I'm sure that if I was a tad more articulate I could better express myself, but you get what you pay for. (In this case, nothing but your time online.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess that was me, hee hee. That graphic actualy looks a little like you. Well said, I think any president should exercise extreme caution when committing the military to battle.
However my point (I didn't really mean you) was if you remember the Democrats back in 04 John Kerry's entire campaign was based on the fact that he served in a an unjust war nearly 40 years ago ("I'm reporting for duty"...); if you remember before that Wesley Clark was briefly looked upon as a war hero to capture the White House (and his claim to fame was a military operation that many liberals didn't like either). I found this frightening even as an election year strategy (I won't forget that Michael Moore among other "progressives" endorsed Clark before he even said a word). That's a dangerous tendency.