Friday, August 17, 2007


New York’s Congressmen Charles Rangel brought up the idea of a return to a draft a couple of years ago. At the time he started taking hits from both the Right and the Left for even hinting as such a thing. As all things come around in circles so to has his idea. Now he’s not the only one hinting that it might not be such a bad idea.

It may come as a shock to some folks, generally those who don’t know me from years ago, but I don’t think a Selective Service or ‘draft’ would necessarily be a bad thing.

I grew up in the 1950s & ‘60s when every male had to go down to the Selective Service Office within a week of their 18th birthday and sign up. In this period, with the Vietnam War going full swing, it was accepted that everybody had a pretty good chance of being called up. I knew folks who were able to get deferments for college or for medical reasons, but only a couple guys who actually filed as “conscientious objectors”. I also knew guys who vowed they would take off for Canada if called up but lost touch with them, so have no idea what happened if they did get the notice.

Personally, I walked out of the SS office and down the hall to the Navy recruiter, end of story.

I know as well as anybody that the same type of folks who pulled strings or knew people who could will do exactly that. The Bush, Cheney and Limbaugh’s of this generation will be just as ‘chicken hawk’ as their elders. Still I do think that if there were a draft our representatives in Congress might be a bit more careful before giving the next President a blank check for military adventure.

I also believe that both men and women should be made to sign up for SS. If not military service, then working in hospitals, doing work on our infrastructure or performing in the public sector in some capacity for a minimum amount of time. I also think that the deferments allowed for non-medical reasons should also be limited and not of the type you can get multiple times. Like jury duty, your turn will eventually come up.

I haven’t totally thought this through and I know that there are probably really great arguments for not bringing it back, still it is not fair for the folks who did volunteer for whatever reason to be the only ones to repeatedly have to make the same sacrifices.

Just my two cents.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be somewhat in Russian for some reason (this is a Rego Park computer), but here goes:

Bringing back the draft would be an horrid tragedy that would have no positive effect on what Rangel has in mind (often it's hard to know what that is). Just looking at American history: The Civil War (where those rich enough could buy replacements for themselves), World War I (that most unjust of bloodbaths), World War II, the Korean War (largely unjust at the time as well), and Vietnam (imperialism at its best) all included the draft. More wars historically in the U.S. have featured a draft than not.

Besides that, the state has no right to compulsory regarding anything, including volunteer work. As far as purely homeland defense (and I mean defense)self organized militias would be more effective than standing armies.

Anonymous said...

that was Joe, btw

Steve Chaput said...

We are going to disagree to a point on this.

I think that the country needs a standing Army/military, if only a significant National Guard & Coast Guard. So called 'self-regulated' militias would stand no chance given an actual invasion or large scale attack. It would take too long to equip, train and move such groups into areas where they are needed. Also, without a central authority they would be little better than vigilante groups imposing their own forms justice as they saw fit.

Many industrial countries have standing militaries or required government service. I personally have no problem with this, and feel that safeguards/guarantees could be put in place to limit individuals from 'slipping under' the requirements.

I had this same arguement with my ex (no offense) and we also will never agree.

Btw, I am glad to hear from you and glad that you're out there keeping tabs on me.