Thursday, November 06, 2003

Today's issue of the Slate, has an interesting article by Timothy Noah on The Reagans the mini-series which CBS cravenly pulled because of Republican protests. I had to laugh when I read of that the network was placing it on Showtime, because some execs felt that 'upon viewing' the program they felt it wasn't 'balanced.' Man, you have to love that! Since when have bio-pics, especially those done by the major networks ever had any glimmer of balance?

Also, just read earlier today Mark Evanier's column (link over to the left) on the death penalty and Gary Leon Ridgway, in particular. Seems that this serial killer of at least 48 women was able to cut a deal with prosecutors, preventing him from getting the death penalty for his crimes.

Personally, if you had asked me, even ten years ago how I felt about capital punishment I would have automatically said that it was wrong in all cases. I must admit that in recent years I've begun to wonder if this really is a position I can stand behind. Mark's column, and his comments, pretty closely reflect my own at this point. The use of the ultimate penalty in this country is horribly unfair, both racist and classist in the extreme. Compare the stats in any stats on the number of poor, black men and rich, white men serving on 'death row.' Pretty damn sobering.

No comments: