Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Believe it or not, I’m actually going to talk about comics today! Yeah, I know it says fanboy up there at the top of the blog and everything, but I have to admit that they aren’t the main focus of my life at this point. I still read and enjoy them, but I find it difficult to work up enthusiasm enough to actually review much of what I’m reading.

There are several books, which I love and look forward to each month (or each issue, in some cases since they aren’t monthly titles), but I don’t think you want to hear me raving about the same ones all the time.

Mark Crilley’s AKIKO is among the Top Five books for an ‘all ages’ audience, currently being produced. Only the most jaded of comic book geeks would not find themselves enjoying this title and it is one of those books that I’d always feel safe recommending to non-comics fans. The current issue (#51) may not be the perfect place to start, since so much of it requires some knowledge of past events and stories, however there are enough jokes and surprises even for those only minimally familiar with the series. If you’re not already reading AKIKO you really should at least give it a chance when you spot it at the comics shop.

Ditto Stan Sakai’s USAGI YOJIMBO, although the swordplay may deter some parents from handing this to the youngest child. Still considering what most kids are subjected to on any given day on the WB or FOX Kids, I don’t think that the battles and almost bloodless fighting will traumatize anyone. Depending on how any particular issue strikes me AKIKO and UY move up and down in my Top Five, though usually one of them is my #1 book for that week.

The Batman Family of books have been, IMHO, been going downhill the last few months. Seems as though some of the writers are treading water until the next Big Event or crossover. I’ve already dropped BATGIRL, NIGHTWING, GOTHAM KNIGHTS & BIRDS OF PREY from my shopping list. To be honest, only ROBIN continues to interest me with its current storyline involving a possible ‘traitor’ within the Bat family. The current issue of BATMAN (#620) is the first part of an arc written by Brian Azzarello with art by Eduardo Risso, best known for the collaboration on 100 BULLETS. Frankly, what works so well in that book doesn’t work equally well (again IMHO) in a Batman title, especially in the character’s main book. Maybe I’m getting old and stodgy, but I don’t think that a parent would really be thrilled to open this book and find Bat’s trading innuendo with a nearly naked woman. I also don’t like MY Batman using a tied up bad guy as a punching bag. I don’t know if I’m even willing to give the next issue a try, since it’s a six-issue arc and I don’t see the mood of the book changing. Time to save another few bucks per month. Thanks, DC!

I’m a bit unhappy with the end of the “Water bearer” arc over in AQUAMAN. With issue #12, Rick Veitch finishes up a year of mostly solid issues, but quickly wraps up (with death in one case, possibly two but it's really unclear) some threads, which had begun in the first few issues. Basically it ends with Arthur saying, in effect, “Hey, I’m all better now and later for you bitch.”

I had actually come to like the characters of Sweeney and McCaffrey and feel badly that Veitch treats them in such a cavalier fashion. I suppose he felt that he had to allow the new creative team a free hand in continuing the story, but allowing one to die and blowing off the other in such a fashion really makes Arthur look pretty bad in my book. I really don’t know at this point if I’m going to bother picking up later issues. Frankly, I can’t say that I care all that much about the fate of Atlantis. Thanks again, DC!

No comments: