Friday, May 13, 2005

Just another post since this caught my attention.

From what I've been reading today Pope Benedict XVI has announced or at least indicated that he will be placing the late Pope John Paul II on the 'fast track' to sainthood. Who knew that you could do something like that? Apparently when you have a direct pipeline to the Almighty as the Pope does it doesn't take years of miracles to make the big time (religion wise, that is!).

Seriously, if I remember my childhood catechism correctly you have to have so many miracles performed in your name to get moved up the sacred ladder. Wasn't it three? Somebody would be healed or something after praying to you, then after it was 'officially' investigated and proclaimed valid by the Vatican you'd move one step closer to sainthood. Am I off base here?

Call me cynical, but should popularity be the criteria for this?

Since we're on the subject of cynicism I'm going to add yet another link over on the Left. This is for www.skeptic.com which is the official website for The Skeptics Society and their magazine, appropriately called SKEPTIC. Along with essays by James Randi (you'll find his official site via another link over on the side), you can read articles, book reviews and find information on events in your area. If you're really into it you can join the Skeptic Ring!

1 comment:

Jesster said...

I'm sure someone will find a sandwich with the image of the Virgin Mary on it again and somehow this will make a difference. I totally don't get how that works. I thought getting into heaven was a double-elimination thing anyway...