Monday, May 16, 2005

Donna and I attended a wedding for one of her cousins this past weekend. It got me to thinking about the receptions usually held after the ceremony.

Having gone through three ceremonies myself, I don't think the proceedings tell as much about family dynamics and such as the reception. Even the casual observer at such events can usually tell by just the seating arrangements how things are in the family. Also, it's really interesting to check out the wedding party and notice how the various brides maids & ushers relate. It is easy to tell who genuinely likes each other and who was put together by the whim of the couple.

I think when it comes down to it the wedding reception always appears to be a compromise between what the couple wants and what they feel their family would enjoy. That's not necessarily wrong, but you have to wonder if it bodes well for what is in store down the road.

2 comments:

Elayne said...

Hey, I thought our wedding was pretty cool (give or take a bathroom sessino with Tom Deja), but admittedly it was kinda small as these things go.

Steve Chaput said...

Wasn't talking about our shindig, as much as these things in general. Other than Dejay the thing I remember most is not being able to finish a single plate of food since we kept being called out for photos.