Friday, February 04, 2005

Well, I'm gearing up for another fine Super Bowl Sunday this weekend. Looks like we'll be spending the evening watching the game at my in-laws, so I'll probably be the only New England Patriot fan in the room. Not that anybody is a real fan of the Philadelphia Eagles mine you, but they are still P.O.d about the Red Sox win so this seems to them a good way to razz me. All to macho, I know!

Now I'm a fan of Paul McCartney, but even I have to admit that he is not the artist I would have thought of to front the half-time show. Perhaps ten years ago! I guess he's considered a safe bet after what went down (pardon the expression) last year. Still I generally use the half-time show to visit the bathroom and refill the munchies. On the other hand, I might actually check out the pre-game telecast (which I generally skip except when the commercials are on) to see how John Fogerty is looking. I can't see myself tuning in for the "Super Bowl Gospel Celebration", either!

We all know that about half the SB audience never watches another football game all season, tuning in the spectacular to see what the sponsors are pushing and how clever the ad agencies are this year.

Apparently one car spot was already pulled because of pre-broadcast criticism from a group working with Catholic priest abuse victims. The ad had a priest take a set of keys found in the 'collection plate' only to be confronted by a father and his little girl. When the reverend is shown putting up a sign for his next sermon the word 'L**T' appears and this was reportedly too much for some folks. (My guess being that that word and the little girl appearing in the same commercial implied a bit too much) Perhaps simple white screens with the corporate logo showing for thirty seconds would be acceptable to one & all, huh? I mean, really!!

It will be interesting to see what folks will be blogging about come Monday morning. I'm sure I'll have my own thoughts to share.

No comments: