Tuesday, January 04, 2005

I have been pretty busy the last couple of days, not even having the chance to post a bit about my New Year's Eve weekend. I also have not had time to read any of the blogs or on-line columns I generally try to get to daily. Because of that I just read in the CBG Express mailing that Will Eisner has passed away.

I really cannot recall if I ever had the chance to actually meet Mr. Eisner personally, although I did see and hear him at several conventions I attended in the 1980s & '90s. He always seemed to be surrounded by fans and his peers, so going up to him seemed intrusive.

On the other hand, I remember first discovering his character THE SPIRIT and learning about Eisner's early experience, in Jules Feiffer's classic THE GREAT COMIC BOOK HEROES (which I discovered in my high school library, of all places!). When I began seriously collecting comics Eisner's name came up all the time in the various fanzines I read. Finally, Warren Publishing began to publish reprints of THE SPIRIT and it became obvious just what it was that made this character and his creator still resonate with readers.

His various graphic novels and the creative way he (and his collaborators) told the Spirit tales influenced several generations of artists and writers. His is a legacy which will endure.

I am saddened by his passing and my thoughts & wishes go out to his family, friends and legends of fans.

No comments: