Monday, January 31, 2005

I don't want to call it a New Year's Resolution for a couple of reasons. First, it was only a week ago, so I think the deadline for NYRs is past. Secondly, my past experience with such self-promises have almost never born fruit, so why jinx myself from the start.

What prompted this was a program on 'readers advisory' held by the Programming Office for librarians. If I stay awake at these things that in itself is a surprise, but in this case the lecturer was actually interesting. She also told us how she had begun keeping a journal/diary of the books which she read each year. These are not reviews for her own use, but simply the titles of the books and perhaps a line or two to remind her what the book was about.

Anyway, I've gone back and listed the books I have read since the beginning of the month, along with the audio-books I've heard. All I put down are the title, author, date and the genre (if fiction). I will let you know just how long I can keep this up.

At the same time I began this I decided that now might be a good time to actually go back and read or re-read some 'classic' books. Despite having been a pretty active reader for most of my life there have been a number of books which I've never got around to reading. When I have a few minutes to spare I'll even write a bit about what I picked as my first choice.


No comments: