Monday, August 11, 2003

Well, I can't say that my 35th Nowich Free Academy reunion was a wonderful experience, but it was nice to actually run into a couple of folks I haven't seen in years. The event itself was held in an un-airconditioned tent at an area restaurant. Fortunately, the place is right on the water and we got enough breeze to almost compensate for the lack of fans.

Two things stand out immediately. First, why do so many of my classmates look so OLD! Man, I know I'm not in the same shape I was even fifteen years ago and I certainly have less hair, but some of the guys looked like they could be my father! Secondly, unless some of the fellow had decided to take their daughters along there were more than a few 'trophy wives' tagging along Friday night. I mean, whose kidding who?

It was great to see one of the two classmates who 'made it big' actually show up this year. Author Wally Lamb, with whom I attended elementary school as well as NFA was there and actually raffled off signed copies of his novels to raise money for a class donation to the school. You couldn't meet a nicer guy.

Pete Slosberg, who founded Pete's Brewing Co. (makers of Pete's Wicked Ale and other products) couldn't make it this year. He did send along several boxes of chocolates from his new endeavor Cocoa Pete's. The guy made a hobby into a mulit-million dollar success and I have no doubt the guy will do it again.

Maybe you can't go home again, but you can drop by for a visit.

No comments: