Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Just a few things while I'm thinking of them.

Since Fox has decided to drop the suit against Al Frankin I'll be dropping the "Fair and Balanced" from my logo in the next day or so. Found it interesting that in several items I've read that Bill O'Reilly seems to have been the main instigator in this whole situation. Mark Evanier had a link to an article dealing with that very thing a day or so ago.

Also interesting that Fox couldn't simply drop the suit but had to get in a dig while doing so. Reuters reports that a Fox spokeswoman said, "It's time to return Al Franken back to the normal obscurity he's accustomed to." This of course, coming from an unidentified and unnamed woman who would, no doubt, love to just once see her name printed anywhere favorably or unfavorably, oh, please just so I can show it to my friends..oh, please... ahem....

On a not so amusing note an article I discovered in the Sunday Washington Post site (8/24/03) talks about the recent increase in suicides in Japan. Not only has this country seen an increase by almost 11,000 suicide attempts annually (both successful and unsuccessful) over the past ten years, but this seems to coincide with the downturn in the Japanese economy. While this is probably not completely surprising the creepy factor in all this is that there has been a 'growth' in suicide pacts amongst younger Japanese who find each other on the Internet. Over the past few years there appear to have sprouted up a number of websites and chatrooms for people seeking 'how to' advice and even looking for others with whom they can commit this fatal act.

Let's be honest here, I have considered suicide in the past and I don't think I'm alone in this. I'm sure that many folks have thought, even fleetingly, of just ending an existence they find unlivable for whatever reason. Whether it's the breakup of a relationship, the loss of a job or the death/illness of a loved one, there comes a point where some folks may think that it might not be such a bad idea to just end things at that point.

Thankfully, in my case, I have always found someone to turn to or have even found the strength within myself to pick up and move beyond the moment. I wonder what would have happened if I had, instead, went looking for someone to assist me in taking my life. Would I have felt with their encouragement the 'courage' to actually perform the deed?

Do such 'suicide support' sites or chatrooms exist on this side of the Pacific? Probably I suppose and isn't it sad if they do?

Take heart, things can and usually do get better. Turn to your friends and loved ones, speak to those whose wisdom and advise you respect. Live this life, as if it is your only one. Which, IMHO, it is!

Peace and friendship!

No comments: