Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Just a few things while they are fresh in my mind.

First, it's been a while since I mentioned Weight Watchers so a quick update. I went in for the weekly meeting last night and found I'd lost another 3.4 lbs. This amounts to a total of a little over 25 lbs lost in the 9 weeks I have been attending. The good thing is my cholesterol is down and it isn't as much of a challenge going up and down the stairs. A mixed blessing is that the new clothes that Donna and I bought for our upcoming cruise are already getting loose and they have to be brought in to the tailor. Our plan is to sign up for another 10 weeks and then see where we stand.

The news shows yesterday were filled with stories (as are today's papers) with accounts of the FBI sting operation that caught an 'arms dealer' trying to get a shoulder-fired missle. Naturally, this story was followed by scary talking heads revealing how vulnerable the U.S. airports are to attacks by such devices. Anyway, as a complete read of the articles in the papers reveal (and wasn't really made clear in the television accounts) was that both the sellers, suppliers/shippers of the missle and the eventual 'buyers' of the missle were all in on the operation. Everybody except this one schmuck who tried to make a dishonest dollar was in on it! Apparently this guy could not have either supplied the missile or even found one without the government agents helping along. I'm not saying the guy was an innocent lamb, but doesn't this ring of entrapment? Just call me a 'bleeding heart', I guess?

Finally, great article in today's Washington Post by Joel Achenbach on the whole Ben Affleck/Jennifer Lopez situation. Who knew that the tabloids had nicknames for the twosome? Jennufleck? Bennifer? Ben-Lo? Way cool! (Sorry, but the WP asks you to answer a few questions to get to the article. If you are not really interested, I mention the basic points below.)

Actually, the articles makes some good points, with the most obvious the publics love to bash and tear down those celebs we created to begin with. Also, how we want celeb couples to fail and fail big time. Yeah, I won't deny that things like the Nick Cage/Priscella Presley and Michael Jackson/Priscella Presley and "insert celeb"/Priscella Presley type of marriage amuses me to no end. Still as the article asks, 'why do we get such enjoyment' out of this kind of thing?

No comments: