Wednesday, August 20, 2003

One of those days when there doesn't seem anything worth ranting about, even in a Fair and Balanced manner. However, I couldn't let the day pass without posting something so....

Whenever I find that I've finished the new comics I have and don't feel like reading a 'real book', I'll grab something from the 'unread' box of comics. There are titles in there that I picked up close to 7-8 yrs ago that I've never looked at since the day I picked them up. Hell, I have entire mini-series and multiple issues of monthly titles that haven't been printed in years.

Right now I'm going through approximately a year's worth of the EC reprints put out by Gladstone/Diamond. These aren't the better known Horror/Crime books, but rather the later "New Direction" titles that Gaines & Co. published in an attempt to get around the newly formed Comics Code Authority. I'm not enough of a scholar to know how well these books sold, nor what kind of distribution they had, but considering that none of the series seems to have lasted more than a handful of issues I don't think they were exactly capturing the hearts & minds of your typical comic fan.

Of course, when you consider some of the titles, it is obvious that the folks at EC weren't directing their books at the same kids who were picking up SUPERMAN and his four-color contemporaries.

I'll have some more on this later, since it wouldn't be out of line for me to actually get some work done here. :-)

No comments: