Monday, May 12, 2003

Yesterday was Mother's Day, one of those days to which one normally one gives only a little thought. Maybe you buy a card, send some flowers, or take your mother out to lunch or dinner. If you happen to be miles away, perhaps you pick up the phone and give her a call. I couldn't do any of those things yesterday.

Last year on Mother's Day I spent it, with my two sisters, visiting our mom in her nursing home. Only a few weeks before my mother had been out driving around and enjoying herself. The next day she woke up with sharp pains in her chest. It was discovered that a clot had formed in one leg and breaking loose had traveled to her lungs. Sadly, when they began to test her further they found that cancer, which she had seemingly beaten years before had returned. Almost one week after that Mother's Day visit, my sisters and I were standing before my mother's grave, saying goodbye for the last time.

This past weekend was what some would call 'an emotional roller-coaster.' On Saturday, Donna and I went to a wedding for one of her co-workers. While nobody was thrilled by either the food or the service at the reception hall, everyone seemed to be having a good time. On Sunday I gave Donna her card and later we went out shopping, for a new gown for our up-coming cruise in September. We grabbed a quick lunch at Subway, then caught ANGER MANAGEMENT, which was pretty good. The evening ended with take-out Chinese food and some dessert from Carvels.

During both days I would occasionally think of my mother and all the things which had happened the past year. Things which she had missed and which I'm sure she would have had something to say.

This coming Saturday (5/17) is the day my mom passed away. I'll be spending that day, at least part of it, back in my hometown of Norwich, CT. I'm going to be bringing flowers to place on my parents grave and spend a few minutes 'catching up.' Later my best friend Gerry and I will be driving to Naugatuck, CT for a beer festival. We will take a moment before that first brew to toast my mother and father. I think both of them would have approved.


No comments: