Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Well, the weather played havoc with our plans for the past weekend. We cancelled our hotel reservations, for the Mystic Marriot, and didn't go down to the Mystic Seaport. We had wanted to hit the Lobsterfest this year and meet up with my best friend, Gerry and his wife.

Donna and I ended up staying home most of the weekend, playing Scrabble, reading and watching some videos we rented.

Speaking of which, I want to recommend both THE ROYAL TENNENBAUMS (a strange comedy, which rightly got some good reviews when it originally came out) and THE ROAD TO PERDITION (in which Tom Hanks and Paul Newman both give solid performances; with Hanks outstanding in a role you would not normally envision him).

If I remember, either later today or tomorrow, I'll have some quick comics reviews. I'm reconsidering my purchases of some titles and think writing my feelings down might urge me one way or the other.

Oh, I know some folks are bothered by the usual Rah-Rah patriotic stuff on Memorial Day, but as a Vietnam Era vet myself I have mixed emotions. I'll never be convinced that the recent Iraqi invasion was justified and certainly have problems with the current drumbeat to head back to take out Iran. However, men & women did put their lives on the line, even if they didn't really understand why they should. You don't take votes in the military, no matter in which county's armed forces you serve. You are expected to do your job and these folks certainly did.

American men & women have fought and died for this country since it was founded and they all deserve a moment of recognition and respect.

No comments: