Wednesday, May 28, 2003

As I've mentioned before I started picking up just about all of the Batman 'family' titles last year, when they were doing the BRUCE WAYNE: MURDERER/FUGITIVE story line. I thought most of the books handled the interconnected story fairly well and it was certainly nice to once again find that the Batman was turning more human (if not exactly normal :-).

I dropped NIGHTWING almost immediately, it's combination of ugly art and incomprehensible (to the new reader) plots held no interest outside the cross-over. I only picked up one issue of AZRAEL, as it was a character created, IMHO, to push the awful KNIGHT FALL storyline which had me dropping the Bat titles to begin with. What I saw didn't change my mind on the book, so I wasn't disappointed (or surprised) to see the book cancelled a few months ago.

The three main Bat-books (BATMAN, DETECTIVE & GOTHAM KNIGHTS) have been up & down quality wise. I enjoyed, surprisingly, the Bane plot line and the re-introduction of Checkmate along with their pursuit of The Huntress. Both ROBIN & BATGIRL continue to be interesting titles and can easily stand alone, as Tim Drake and Cassandra are interesting characters. BIRDS OF PREY has been uneven and, in spite of my LOVE of Black Canary and Barbara Gordon, I don't know that I'll continue to pick up the book. The ending of the Metamorpho story seems like a good point to drop the title.

For the time being I think I'll also stay with the two original Bat books, but drop GK. Also, if DETECTIVE runs another story like the recent Elongated Man x-over, I'll drop that as well. I love seeing Ralph & Sue Debney, but felt that Batman/Matches was really badly done.

GREEN ARROW, HAWKMAN & JSA are probably my favorite current DC titles and I'd certainly recommend all three to fans who may have dropped the DCU from their reading lists. The six part GA/GL crossover actually had me liking Kyle (formerly Crabface Guy). HAWKMAN #15 really shakes things up with the re-introduction of two surprise guest stars. It also does an incredible job of the nearly impossible task of dove-tailing every other incarnation of both lead characters and explaining how one gave way to the next.

I've picked up but have yet to read TITANS/YOUNG JUSTICE: GRADUATION DAY #1 & POWER COMPANY #16, so I'll hold off commenting on either until I have.

I really am on the fence when it comes to Rick Veitch's AQUAMAN series. I like what he's done and appreciate that he at least pays lip service to what others have done before. I think it is going to depend on how he wraps up the current THIRST storyline that leans me toward staying onboard or not. I do want to see how Veitch gets Arthur back to Atlantis and the battle to liberate the city (if not regain the throne). Personally, I'd rather he didn't take up the crown, but remained in the lighthouse, perhaps acting as ambassador to the surface world.

What a nice surprise it was to pick up the latest issue of DOOM PATROL and see the work of one of my favorite artists, Rick Geary, doing a DCU comics (even if not actually taking place in continuity). Even the book's cover lists the titles regular creative team, so I wonder what happened to bring Geary into the mix. Again, I'm sorry to see the book is on the chopping block, but I've been enjoying this latest incarnation of the DP, even after initially fearing the worst. I keep my fingers crossed that somebody will find it in their heart to bring Cliff Steele into another DCU book. My pal, Brian Morris and I have batted around a few ideas and think that Cliff/Robot Man would be a perfect fit over in JSA. He's been around long enough to have met just about all of the heroes currently on the roster and might be a great partnered with Wildcat.

I'm sad to see that Metamorpho is going to be included in the unnecessary new OUTSIDERS. Brian and I also agree that Rex would be a great JSA member as well. Hell, if DC really wanted to do something 'original' with the OUTSIDERS they'd have Rex, Cliff, the Resurrection Man (Michael Shelly),Animal Man and some of the other third-string characters join together. Anything beats creating new (and face it unneeded) characters, including the illegitimate daughter of Black Lighting (created in my mind only to further tarnish Tony Isabella's character so he would want to distant himself from it).

Well, I don't expect anybody else to agree, but this is my Blog after all.

No comments: