Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Only a few things to say this time out.

Firstly, got back my first review for Joe Bob, with a few editorial changes. To be honest, I feel pretty good since the review still 'reads' like my writing and not all that different from the draft I posted here. Some things were cut out, which were unimportant and I'd actually forgotten to give a 'star' rating. As soon as it is actually up on the site I'll let you know.

Well, don't know about you but for me "Free Comics Day" was a letdown. The local shop only had a half dozen freebies, and none from the major companies. I'd been looking forward to the BATMAN comics and was surprised, since the film debuted that weekend, that the shop didn't have any of the ULTIMATE X-MEN comics to give out. Real lost opportunity.

I did get four of the six give-aways and will have more to say after I read them.

While I'm talking about comics....

I was disappointed in the latest issue of BATGIRL. The new art is UGLY, with Batman especially badly drawn, it was also hard to follow the art. Likewise, the writing seemed to be disjointed or maybe it was the editing. Whichever it really seemed to jump around and the story difficult to follow. I had been looking for books to cut from my buy list and I think this is one of them.

I'm also only going to give BIRDS OF PREY one more issue, to finish up the 'Felix Faust' storyline. Just when I was beginning to warm to many of the Bat Family titles they are declining in quality (at least IMHO).

ROBIN remains a favorite, so I'm going to keep buying that title. It remains to be seen if I'm going to keep getting all three of the major BATMAN books (BATMAN, DETECTIVE, GOTHAM KNIGHTS). I think that resurecting the Joker as a major protagonist in both BATMAN & DETECTIVE, at the same time (but in unrelated stories) may have been a mistake. In one book, the character is locked up while in the other he's running around with Harley Quinn. Perhaps some editorial decision should have been made to put some time between the storylines. I feel bad saying this, since I'm really enjoying both plots.

If JLA doesn't keep my interest over the current three issue "White Rage" story line it will also be cut from my buy list. I'm getting enjoyable super-heroics from JSA, GREEN ARROW, HAWKMAN & AQUAMAN, to name a few. Speaking of DC, I can't believe that I'm reading the current GA/GREEN LANTERN x-over. I've actually become fond of Kyle! That's scary!

For the most part I'm still enjoying POWER COMPANY, but Manhunter could easily take a walk and I wouldn't miss him. There's enough interesting characterization in the rest of the team.

In case anybody cares, Donna and I thought the Lucy & Desi bio-pic the other night was okay. We both preferred the earlier Jackie Gleason one with Brad Garrett and the Martin & Lewis TV-movie with Sean Hayes. Sure, they aren't 100% accurate, but if done well can still be fun.

No comments: