Thursday, May 29, 2003

Quick look at some current comics.

POWER COMPANY #16 - Kurt Busiek once again totally suprised me. I'd heard rumors that he was going to bring the Haunted Tank into the comic, but I didn't expect this. Also, he has brought back (even if only for an issue or two) one of my all time favorite DCU characters, Baron Winter of Night Force. As with his run on Marvel's THUNDERBOLTS (before somebody decided to totally destroy the title and turn into Fight Club for meta-humans) you can never know what Kurt is going to do with any character.

POWERS #31 - Brian Michael Bendis has me totally confused, but I've enough faith in him to keep reading. A whole issue with no actual dialogue (not counting some grunting and gibberish) and lots of monkey sex. Either the guy is brilliant or his meds didn't kick in that day.

SUPERMAN/BATMAN: GENERATIONS 3 - John Byrne can be both brilliant and infuriating. I have loved each GENERATION series and allthough I see folks nit-picking the series I think he's doing a great job of using many different versions of the major DCU characters. I do wonder if even he is keeping track of everything he has going on here. Definetly a series which will need to be read again when it wraps up.

JSA: ALL-STARS #1 - I love the current JSA series, but wonder if this book will be anything more than a bunch of 'spotlight' segments on the new members. I don't know if this character LEGACY has been around before, but I must say I'm NOT impressed. I'll know better next issue if I'm going to pick up the series.

TITANS/YOUNG JUSTICE: GRADUATION DAY #1 - If I had not been a major fan of YJ I doubt if I would have picked this up at the shop. Peter David had been doing a great job with the kids over in their title, making interesting characters out of both established and original heroes. Sadly, they have decided to hand the thing over to a writer who seems to have no real interest in any of them, but rather is a Titans fan who skimmed a couple of YJ issues. I realize that they are trying to set up some mysterious event which will both launch a couple of new titles (a relaunched TITANS and a revamped OUTSIDERS), but you should at least give us some kind of hint. Also, why bring the Metal Men into the mix for a couple of pages? As with JSA/All-Stars I'm giving this series one more issue to catch my interest, but frankly I'm already leaning towards just peeking at it in the shop and not even bothering.

That does it for now!

No comments: