Wednesday, April 09, 2008



Not that I'm losing sleep over all this, but I will admit to mixed feelings.

I think having the Olympics in China sends a signal to that government that they can get away with just about anything. I'm not naive enough not to know that economically they hold sway over corporations and governments, none of whom dare to stand up to them.

I realize that there are athletes who train for years for the one chance to go to these games, even if they only see the possible dollar signs from endorsement deals rather than national pride. They should probably be allowed that opportunity.

Probably be a good idea though, at this point, to pack up the torch and fly it directly to Beijing. The problems in Paris & London were unfortunate, and I only see similar if not worse events should the relay continue. Fortunately, nobody has been seriously hurt, but these things escalate and it may only be a matter of time.

Finally, we all know that His Smugness will be all smiles at the opening ceremony, since he and his cronies probably already have business deals worked out for '09 and beyond. Only time will tell how any of the competing athletes may make their feelings known.

I'm sure Matt, Ann & Meredith will tell us all how great things are! At least we can be grateful that Katie isn't going to be there. :-)

No comments: