Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Several years ago, back when I was working for the University of New Haven, I twice took part in a research project. Sadly, no super-powers developed and my hair still hasn’t grown back.

Seriously, the research had to do with memory or rather what triggered memories. Each of the volunteers was given a journal and for one month we would record those moments when we had memories of either the recent or distant the past. In the journals, using a series of shorthand notations, we would try to note what might have triggered the event (taste, sound, something we had read or seen, etc.). I have to admit that it was pretty fascinating and personally brought back even more memories as the journal writing itself would trigger further events.

Even though I no longer keep a journal, I do find that when certain memories spring to mind I try to decipher exactly what it was that led to that moment. Today on the subway, for instance, I was reading a review (a graphic novel in which trolls appear) which reminded me of an e-mail exchange I once had with Neil Gaiman (of all people) involving childhood fears (ask Elayne about “Three Billy Goats Gruff”). This in turn brought back a frightening reminder of a reoccurring nightmare I had for years as a teenager, involving an abandoned well, a girl living there and decay. Brrrr!!!

I realize this has nothing to do with Iraq, Israel or anything political which is triggering posts in the Blogoverse, but I just wanted to get that out there while it was fresh in my mind.

No comments: