Monday, August 01, 2005

Granted, it may have had something to do with the Rum & Cokes I'd been drinking for the past few hours, or the beers i just had. However, I'd like to think that it had more to do with being surrounded with my family.

Saturday night found Donna and I attending a surprise 50th b-day bash for my brother-in-law Teddy back in Connecticut. I was up on the dance floor with three of my female cousins, a floor we shared a trio of ladies who were apparently sent over from Central Casting to appear as Dykes on Bikes in a drive-in flick. The club, which my sister rented for the night, certainly had its share of characters in the adjoining bar/pool hall. Around midnight some of those folks drifted in to the party and joined the festivities. I was having a great time!

The flash came when I realized how different my life might have been had I not joined the Navy after high school, or even if I had stayed in my hometown after my enlistment was up. I would probably have married one of the girls I dated back then (wherever Diane or Martha may be?) and could have easily ended up a member of something like the American-Polish Club or something along those lines.

Family is a wonderful thing and I really do believe that you can go home again. At least for a weekend and a few drinks.

Here's a toast (another Barcadi & coke over here, please) to my sisters Pam & Sue, both Teddys, Charlie, Sandy and the rest of the Papineau(my mom's relatives) side of the Chaput family!

Hey! Was there any woman there that Bob didn't put the moves on?

No comments: