Saturday, June 11, 2005

Sadly, after enjoying a very nice week in California we returned to Brooklyn and found ourselves dealing with 'real life.'

One of Donna's very close friends Bella was diagnosed with cancer and this past Monday had to undergo a hysterectomy. They were unable to remove all of the cancer and she will soon begin a six-week chemotherapy treatment. Donna and I have both spent time with her in the hospital, visiting and also trying to cheer up her husband,Pete.

Having lost both of my parents to cancer it is one of those diseases which I have come to dread in my own life. When someone like Bella, only a year in age different from me, contracts such a serious form it once again reminds me of my own mortality. Also, the fact that I may indeed by genetically predisposed to it.

I have only yesterday made an appointment with my doctor for a regular check up and prostate exam. Men over forty years of age and women, as well should not take their health for granted. You only get one chance here on Mother Earth, so try and stick around as long as you can!

No comments: