Friday, June 24, 2005

"If you have a weak candidate and a weak platform, wrap yourself up in the American flag."-- Matt Quay, 1886

Well, as the blog-o-sphere seems to be taking this on I figured I'd toss in a few greenish pennies of my own.

I spent a little less than a decade in the U.S. Navy, most of that on active duty. This began while the Vietnam War was still quite active and protests were going on around the world. I don't think I'd ever considered that somebody might think that burning the flag would get so many folks all bent out of shape. Sure, growing up in the fifties I did my share of standing for the Pledge of allegiance, but I knew that it was the idea behind the symbol rather than the flag itself (a piece of cloth, after all) that was important.

Seems every few years this whole anti-flag burning thing comes up again and we all have to join ranks on one side or the other. Aren't there really more important matters which should have the attention of those buffoons in D.C.?

If somebody tried to take a sledge hammer to the Lincoln Memorial I'd be the first one to call for this guy to be handcuffed. But there is only ONE such memorial. Flags are manufactured in factories, generally in some third-world country by folks barely getting by on minimal pay. That should get folks upset and not some anarchist or other fringe type taking a match to a $10 red, white & blue table cloth.

That's just me, okay?

No comments: