Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I realize that I made light of the shooting incident yesterday, but the more I read about Jeff Weise, the shooter, the more my heart goes out to him. There is no apology for what he did, but I can't begin to imagine what this poor kid must have been going through. His father committed suicide, his mother in a nursing home and being raised by his grandfather. He was picked on in school and apparently became fascinated with both Hitler and death. How sad is that?

I suppose we should be grateful, considering the ease with which kids can get their hands on lethal weapons, that this type of thing is not even more common. The high school near my home had an incident yesterday where a kid accidentally shot himself in the leg with a gun he had smuggled into school. What's that about?

No comments: