Friday, March 25, 2005

I don't know how it is where you are but here in the American media center, the three daily tabloids all dedicated their front pages to the Terri Schiavo story. Naturally, each took their own distinctive run at the story.

Newsday was the least offense going with "Their Hope is Dimming", with a photo of the parents. The New York Daily News goes with the more dramatic, but a bit more offense "Death Watch". Finally, the ever delightful New York Post features a calendar on the front page, with the days crossed off and a picture of Terri; the headline "Terri's Doomed." My commute in on the subway allows me to read these over and over again as my fellow passengers read each paper.

The outcome, barring Jeb Bush running in to personally carry Terri out, seems a foregone conclusion at this point. My heart goes out to her family, by which I mean all of her family no matter on which side they find themselves. I'm sure that they all have her best interest at heart, and I am disgusted that individuals (of the religious and political stripe) have jumped on their tragedy as the latest bandwagon to arrive in town.

I'm know I'm not the first to bring this up, but you can be sure that some of these same folks will use her death just as greedily as they have used the legal process for their own purposes. You can bet that their will be hundreds, if not thousands of 'mourners' at her funeral even if the family requests their privacy. Hey, never let personal tragedy get in the way of a good photo op!

No comments: